Part Time Usher
Department: Campus Experience
Reports to: Usher Manager
The Kimmel Center is seeking an upbeat, customer service oriented individual who thrive in a fast paced performing arts environment. Ushers will have the opportunity to work at a variety of events in our three performance venues representing the Kimmel Center. As the first line of interaction with our Guests, the ushers are responsible for collecting admission tickets and passes, showing Guests to their seats, handing out playbills, stuffing programs, searching for lost articles, and providing Guests with directions.
Leading with our bold vision to inspire and connect humanity through the Philadelphia Sound, we at The Philadelphia Orchestra and Kimmel Center, Inc. are vital influencers and conveners, emblemizing our values of being exceptional, innovative, diverse and inclusive, and authentic. IDEAS—Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access Strategies—is a comprehensive transformation process, guided by our vision and values, to assess and improve all aspects of our operations, concerts, and programs, and to spur sustainable change.
- Provides exceptional customer service
- Greets Guests attending entertainment events
- Supports the Kimmel Center mission and our customer service common purpose
- Counts and records number of tickets collected and examines tickets or passes to verify authenticity
- Assists Guests in finding seats, lighting the way with flashlights, if necessary
- Provides assistance with Guests' special needs, including helping those with wheelchairs
- Provides information about the building
- Guides Guests to exits or provides other instructions or assistance in case of emergency or evacuation
- Maintains order and ensures adherence to safety rules
- Settles seating disputes or helps solve other Guest concerns
- Distributes programs to Guests
- Stuffs programs with marketing materials and/or program information
- Searches for lost articles
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Excellent customer service skills
- Prior experience providing customer service in a busy environment
- Theater or performing arts experience preferred
- Ability to deal with Guests in a gracious, informed, and respectful manner
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to problem solve under pressure
- Must be 18 or older
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Availability to work a varied schedule including daytime, evenings, weekends, and holidays as performance schedule requires
- Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time up to five (5) hours
- This is a union (I.A.T.S.E. Local B29) position
- A uniform will be provided
- Must be able to attend orientation and training sessions
Resume and cover letter are required when applying for this position.
The Philadelphia Orchestra and The Kimmel Center, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, or military service.
To apply for this position, send your cover letter and resume to The Philadelphia Orchestra and Kimmel Center Human Resources:
The Philadelphia Orchestra and Kimmel Center, Inc.
One South Broad Street | 14th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19107
email: [email protected]