Keeping audiences, staff, and artists safe while ensuring excellent experiences is our priority.
The following security measures help to make a safe environment possible across our venues. We suggest you plan to arrive 30-45 minutes prior to your event time to allow enough time for potential security measures, and to find your seat. To make the process as smooth as possible, please consider leaving unnecessary personal items at home or securing them in the trunk of your car before entering our venues.
Please note these security measures are in effect at the Kimmel Cultural Campus:
- Large bags and backpacks are prohibited inside Kimmel Cultural Campus for all events. Purses, handbags and satchels are allowed but may be subject to security inspection.
- Weapons are not permitted in the venues and/or public spaces owned or operated by Kimmel Cultural Campus including the Kimmel Center; Academy of Music; Miller Theater (formerly Merriam Theater); Ticket Philadelphia; The Kimmel Cultural Campus’s corporate administrative offices.
- It shall be a violation of Kimmel Cultural Campus policy for any person to have in his or her possession any weapon or to introduce any weapon into any Kimmel Cultural Campus venue, including public access areas and parking garage, without the express prior written permission of the Kimmel Cultural Campus Director of Security. The Kimmel Cultural Campus reserves the right to inspect and search persons entering the premises, including hand-carried items.
- Any item that could endanger public safety is considered a weapon for purposes of this policy. The Kimmel Cultural Campus reserves the right to refuse the entry of any item that could be considered a weapon. Some examples of weapons include, but are not limited to:
- Firearms: handguns, rifles, shotguns, and other firearms of all types, air guns, pellet guns, and BB guns
- Knives of any kind other than eating utensils
- Tasers, stun guns
- Fireworks, explosives, or any other dangerous or hazardous devices
Violators of this policy may be subject to ejection from Kimmel Cultural Campus property and/or civil or criminal penalties.
EXCEPTION: Sworn law enforcement personnel; private security officers employed and/or contracted by Kimmel Cultural Campus.
The items listed below, and any additional items that The Kimmel Cultural Campus management determines could potentially distract from the audience’s safety and enjoyment, will not be allowed inside the venue**.
- Backpacks or oversized bags
- Weapons of any kind
- Illegal drugs/substances
- Selfie sticks
- Laser pointers/flashlights
- Pets (service animals exempt)
- Beach balls or projectiles
- Fireworks or noise making devices
- Skateboards/scooters/roller blade
**Exceptions will be made for those with disabilities, medical requirements and/or special needs. Guests with specific needs due to disabilities or medical conditions can contact Patron Services prior to attending the event to arrange for reasonable accommodations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be subject to a bag search?
All patrons entering Kimmel Cultural Campus venues are subject to sreenings. These will vary from event-to-event. Screenings range from visual inspection and bag searches to screenings by a magnetometer (metal detector). The purpose of any inspections is to detect prohibited items.
Is there a magnetometer (metal detector) check at events?
Patrons entering our venues for some events may have to walk through metal detectors, called magnetometers, when they arrive. The purpose of any inspections is to detect prohibited items.
How will these security measures affect me?
It may take a little longer to move through the security screening process while entering the venue, but you will also have greater peace of mind knowing we’ve made your safety a priority when you come to enjoy a show!
When do you recommend we arrive to ensure we get to our seats on time?
Generally doors open 1 hour prior to each performance. We recommend guests arrive 30-45 minutes prior to the event to find parking, to navigate possible security screening processes, to purchase refreshments, and find your seats.
What happens if I arrive and I have a prohibited item?
You will be asked to return the prohibited items to your vehicle. We do not provide storage on-site for prohibited items.
Can I bring my cell phone?
Yes, cell phones are still allowed in the theater, but as always, we ask that they are kept on silent during the performance. In some cases, artists may request a phone-free experience. Please follow the guidance provided for that event.
I’m hosting a wedding or event at The Kimmel Cultural Campus. How will the new security procedures affect my guests?
Security procedures are tailored to each event in the venue. Please contact the event planner with additional questions.
What if I still have questions about this policy?
We are happy to answer questions about our security procedures. Please contact Patron Services or call 215-893-1999 with your inquiries.