PERFORMERS, RIDES, AND MORE ANNOUNCED!
Melanie Sole, Cashman & Associates for PIFA
(o) 215-627-1060 / (m) 856-261-8569
Amanda Conte, Kimmel Center
(o) 215-790-5847 / (m) 516-510-2411
Mark your calendars for the PIFA Street Fair on April 23. Performing artists, rides, food, a zip line, a waterfall AND MORE! #PIFA2016
KIMMEL CENTER ANNOUNCES DETAILS OF
PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS
FINALE STREET FAIR, APRIL 23, 2016
PIFA Concludes with the Most Anticipated Street Fair of the Year Featuring a
Broad Street Zip Line, Performers, 25-foot Waterfall, Rides, and MORE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (Philadelphia, April 1, 2016) –– The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts announced today the details of the celebrated Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA) Finale Street Fair. The culminating event of the 16-day festival transforms six blocks of Broad Street (between Chestnut and South Streets) into Philadelphia’s ultimate FREE block party featuring dozens of performances, rides, a zip line, popular food vendors, and this year’s centerpiece – an enormous waterfall in the center of Broad Street across from the Academy of Music. The 2016 PIFA Street Fair will take place on Saturday, April 23 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
“We are thrilled to share PIFA’s grand finale, an amazing free event, and the Kimmel Center’s gift to Philadelphia,” said Anne Ewers, President & CEO of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. “The Street Fair is an incredible opportunity for the city to come together and enjoy the streets and sights they know so well in a new way, all while interacting with incredibly performers, beloved local vendors, and one another!”
Dozens of performing troupes and entertainers, amusement rides, food vendors, and more will headline the PIFA Street Fair. Attendees can expect:
- Squonk – Pittsburgh’s Squonk Opera presents Lady Pneumatica, a 40-foot tall inflatable accordion sculpture of a woman that plays music.
- Flippen Out – Extreme trampoline athletes/acrobats/artists performing high-energy stunt shows.
- The Living Vines – Back by popular demand from the 2011 PIFA Street Fair, the Living Vines performers walk around on stilts, dressed in vine and flower costumes camouflaging themselves as part of their surroundings.
- Golden Mantises – Also back by popular demand from the 2013 PIFA Street Fair these beautiful, larger-than-human bugs with costumes made from handmade wicker baskets delight audiences.
- Cirikli Birds – Colorfully plumed wooden puppet birds controlled by stilt performers who interact with the audience.
- Wheelmen – Old-timey characters on old-fashioned bicycles.
Street Fair patrons can Zip Line down Broad Street and ride amusement attractions like the Ferris Wheel, Swings, and The Tornado.
ATMOSPHERE, INTERACTION, AND DINING
- Waterfall – In addition to several grassy areas, trees, water fountains, and other natural elements, a 25-foot waterfall will be installed in the center of Broad Street, across from the Academy of Music where patrons can enjoy a picnic with a view.
- Food Vendors – In addition to more than 30 food vendors, Garces Events will have a beer garden set up on Spruce Street, as well as a food stand, opposite the Kimmel Center. Food vendors to include: The Cow and the Curd, Scratch Biscuits, and Hai Street Kitchen.
The PIFA Street Fair is free and open to the public.
A 16-day celebration of art, PIFA showcases innovation and a breadth of local and international performances and installations, all curated by the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts. With more than 60 events across genres and art forms, PIFA is bookended by Article 13 – a grand-scale fire, sand, and water installation that tells the story of migrants from around the world and serves as the grand opening of the Festival – and the celebrated PIFA Street Fair.
KIMMEL CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
Located in the heart of Center City, Philadelphia, The Kimmel Center’s mission is to operate a world-class performing arts center that engages and serves a broad audience through diverse programming, arts education, and community outreach. The Kimmel Center campus is comprised of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts (Verizon Hall, Perelman Theater, SEI Innovation Studio, and the Merck Arts Education Center), the Academy of Music (owned by the Philadelphia Orchestra Association), and the University of the Arts’ Merriam Theater. TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is the season sponsor of The Kimmel Center’s 2015-2016 Season. American Airlines is the official airline of Broadway Philadelphia. For additional information, visit kimmelcenter.org.
# # #
For photography, please visit http://pifa.org/press-room/
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Broad Street Closure – PIFA Street Fair
Broad Street will close on Friday, April 22 at 7:00 p.m. from Chestnut to South Street, including all cross streets, for the PIFA Street Fair.
All roads will reopen on April 24 at 3:00 a.m. Attendees are encouraged to use public transportation.
Thank you for your cooperation. You may call the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts or visit www.pifa.org for more information.