“The best part was being able to play with and learn from more experienced players and teachers.”
- Student, Creative Music Program
The Kimmel Center's Creative Music Program for Jazz is a school-year long program for grades 6-12 that exposes talented teens with a serious interest in music to teaching artists, master classes, and a well-rounded jazz education. Students get the chance to perform at the Kimmel Center and in the community.
This comprehensive program meets on Saturdays and focuses on:
- stimulating each student’s individual creativity
- developing his/her musicianship skills by using the framework of the jazz tradition.
Throughout each season, students will explore the expansive field of creative music via:
- original and legacy compositions
- hands-on exploration of the rich jazz tradition
- weekly music theory class
- weekly intensive ensemble rehearsal
… and many performance opportunities!
Creative Music Program for Jazz Curriculum
The Creative Music Program includes expert instruction for intermediate and advanced students in:
- Rhythm skills
- Ear Training
- Collective composition
- Sight Reading
- Ensemble interaction & performance
- Jazz History
The curriculum provides for varied levels of experience, with students being placed into one of three theory groups and one of two Ensembles.
Neighborhood Jams is the developmental program for Creative Music Program. Visit the Neighborhood Jams page to learn more.
Registration for 21.22 begins TBD